The other day while at the Gallery in Williams I met a young man in the store who was on the job hunt. He didn’t come right out and say it at first. Instead he wandered the gallery for a bit, and finally as he was getting ready to exit he mentioned he was searching for employment. I explained to him that the gallery was member run and we all take turns being in there, so no opportunities there.
After he left I started thinking about job hunting, and what it takes to make a good impression. In his case? Very bad impression. So I thought I’d share a few tips based on my interaction with him at 10 a.m.
- Bed head at 10 a.m. does not make a good first impression.
- Showering before scouring for jobs is very helpful.
- Smelling of recently consumed hard liquor is also not going to impress potential employers.
- Slurring due to your recent hard liquor is also not going to impress most. Maybe some, but most no.
- Using curse words about your spouse’s former employer, “The bleeping let her go with no notice, so that’s why I’m looking for a bleeping job,” really doesn’t seal the deal. A spouse who hasn’t worked in a month and didn’t get the hint is probably hitting the liquor with ya early in the morning.
So, there are a few helpful tips if you’re on a job hunt. Shower, comb, no booze, and no cussing. Oh, and a resume would be nice, or a request for a job application. That always helps……….