Today I’m going to start into what’s going on in the Airstream, and about the Airstream itself. I’m sure there will be another post. Can’t cover everything in a day! 🙂
The Airstream I’m using is a 2004 Safari 6 Sleeper. It’s 25 feet long by 8 feet wide. That’s 200 square feet of space in total, but remember, not all of the space is open and usable. So I’m working with less than 200 square feet of space for living, storage, etc. Hence the little storage shed.
To date the Airstream has over 30,000 miles of travel on it. It’s been to the following states: ME, NH, MA, CT, NY, PA, MD, WV, VA, NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, TN, MS, AR, TX, OK, NM, AZ, CA, CO, NV, UT, OR, WA, ID, MT, WY, NE, & KS.
I was with the Airstream as well. Almost sounded like the Airstream went without me.
I have been full time for nearly 3 years now. There were 3 months where I wasn’t in the Airstream at the end of 06′ to the start of 07′. So, in a few more weeks we can declare me 3 years full timing.
Ah, what did Airstream include with this little rig?
- Amana Stove: 3 top burners and a big (relatively) oven.
- A two basin kitchen sink. Convenient to wash and rinse.
- A Dometic Fridge / Freezer.
- An Atwood Water heater.
- An “unknown” heater blower for heating the trailer.
- Small bathroom / shower (Airplane sized).
- 4 person dinette.
- Comfy couch / pullout bed.
- 7 overhead storage cabinets.
- 2 clothing closets.
- 2 cabinets under the sink.
- 2 cabinets for the pantry.
- Storage under the dinette seats, couch, and under the couch arms as well.
- Under bed storage.
- An annoying corner bed that I would LOVE to replace. My kingdom for a real bed!
- A small credenza near the couch that pulls out and makes table space for 2 people.
- 2 batteries for the battery plant.
- 4 tires (2 axels) with no spare tire. I bought that later.
- 2 outside storage access points that actually store stuff under the bed.
- Storage in the rear bumper.
- AM / FM / CD player from Sony.
I think that covers what the trailer came with initially. Your standard trailer. No TV, and that was ok by me.
What’s gone into the Airstream?
Ah, there’s the real question. What the heck do I roam around with? For regular readers you already know, lots of technology.
- Macintosh IBook
- Macintosh MacBook Pro
- 7 portable hard drives ranging from 320GB to 1 TB
- Canon IP100 printer
- XM Radio
- IPod Touch
- Canon Cameras
- Too many camera bags
- Too many lenses
- More books than you can shake a stick at.
- 1 Overhead compartment filled with clothes
- 2 closets full of clothes
- Clothing in compression sacks in the outside storage access points
- Hiking boots, hiking sandals, dress shoes, and cycling shoes
- A portable power drill
- Dyson Vacuum Cleaner
- Fun dishes that are all 60’s styled
- 2 small frying pans
- 2 small pots
- A pie plate
- Cookie Sheet
- Lots of odds and ends. Seriously, the list could get huge.
There’s more, a lot more of course. See, I knew I’d be breaking these posts up. We’ll do more next week. Maybe I’ll make a list or something to remind myself everything that’s going on with the Airstream.
Heck, seems like an Airstream Blog again, doesn’t it? 🙂