Ah, finally I get to work on a project that I’ve been wanting to for years….. About time. Unfortunately I do not have the time that I really wanted. But you take what you can get.
Thursday I’ll be setting off to the Grand Staircase Escalante. Before you break out your maps understand this. The Staircase is a HUGE area. Cottonwood Canyon Road, Hole in the Rock Road, and so many off map uncharted places to hike, slots to explore, and more. I’ve been wanting to spend a month in the area ever since my first visit to Cottonwood Canyon Road. Instead of a month I’ve got 5 days. Obviously I won’t get to explore everything I want to. But this is a primer for the next visit! 🙂
Yup, everything is ready to go. Well, the camera gear isn’t all packed away because I have 2 portrait sessions tomorrow. If I didn’t have those sessions I’d be on the road tomorrow. A break from the standard grind is necessary. So everything is loaded up and good to go. The camera equipment will get loaded tomorrow night, and then 6 a.m. Thursday I’ll be on the road.
What’s coming along you ask?
- The Nissan Titan: How else would I get there?
- Turbo Tent: This off roader’s tent rocks. Sure I’ve got all my hiking gear and ultra light tents, but since I’ll be “car camping” why not have a big tent I can walk around in? I got it on the super cheap last year from Overstock.com. Seriously, more than 50% off list!!!
- Trangia Stove: I have 2 Trangias from when I hiked the Appalachian Trail. Ten years later they still rock!
- Thermarest sleeping pads: Comfy!
- Marmot Sleeping Bag: Comfy times two. Plus warm.
- Yaseau Ham Radios: Safety, ya know?
- Spot Messenger: Safety again. Satellite messenger that really works well!
- Fold up table: Why sit in the dirt for dinner if you don’t have to?
- Zip Dee Chairs: The manufacturer of my Airstream awning also makes super chairs!
- IPhone: Of course, of course. But I won’t be connected to any networks……
- IPod Touch: Be ready for some IPod made videos when I return.
- Pelican Cases: 3 cases to be exact. Cameras, camera gear, and safety for all of my electronics!
- 2 5 Gallon Gas Cans: Just in case, just in case.
- Quick Air compressor: Amazing little DC air compressor. I’ll be deflating tires for the off roading, and when I need to re-inflate them this does the job quickly!
- Max Trax Sand Ladders: I love these things. They’ve gotten me out of sand dunes twice now! Well worth every penny spent!
- Canon 5D Mark II: Ah yes, the camera!
- Canon 40D: The backup
- Canon G11: The backup to the backup?
- Lowe Pro Waterproof Backpack: Some of the canyons require wading. Others have chest deep water…… Hmmmmm…..
- Osprey Backpack: You know, I wish so hard that Osprey would create a backpackers camera bag. I’m still not sold on any camera backpack! Maybe I’ll have to re-engineer my Osprey at some point!
- So much miscellaneous stuff: Leatherman, waterproof bags, Mountainsmith storage bags, strobes, and more. Of course, 3 primary lenses as well. The 17-40mm (5D), 70-200 (5D), and the 10-22mm(40D).
If you can’t tell, I’m so excited to be heading out. Check back next week to see photos from the trip, and maybe a video or two just for fun!